Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Was Explosion Caused by Cigarette?
Oct 11, 2018

Was Explosion Caused by Cigarette?

Benisford Matura

Independence Fire Department personnel responded to the explosion, which occurred approximately nine miles away from the station. On arrival, they spotted the thirteen-seater van completely destroyed by fire, but they sprung into action to extinguish the blaze. But according to Deputy Fire Chief, Benisford Matura, the information they’ve gathered so far does not indicate whether the fire was caused by a cigarette.

 

Benisford Matura, Deputy Fire Chief

“While filling the van, there was a flash, there was a leak somewhere with the butane and caused the butane tank that was placed inside the van behind the last seat to explode. The only person that got injured was the said owner and driver, Mister Morales; he got burns to the upper body; the face, his two arms and the chest area.”

 

Duane Moody

“From what police told us earlier today, something about a cigarette was lit and that caused the fire. What has the investigation showed?”

 

Benisford Matura

“Our officer down at Independence hasn’t gotten all that information because he needed to interview Mister Rosales, we would come to that conclusion of what he was doing at the time.  We can only say that at the time the van was filling up, he was at the driver seat in the van.”

 

Reporter

“Sir how many gallons of volatile LPG was present at the scene?”

 

Benisford Matura

“We haven’t ascertained if the storage tank was filled, but the capacity of the storage tank was a seven hundred and fifty-gallon storage tank at the depot.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*