Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » BSAG Eight to be Rearrested Says Police Minister
Sep 27, 2018

BSAG Eight to be Rearrested Says Police Minister

Elodio Aragon Jr.

A policeman and seven B.D.F. soldiers, who were jointly charged for the crime of murder but had the charge dismissed on Wednesday, will be re-arrested and the charge levied against them again.  This is what Minister of State for National Security Elodio Aragon Junior told the media this morning. The men, police officer Lennart Cajun; B.D.F. soldiers Mateo Bolon, Patrick Villagran Senior, Patrick Diego, Elvis Cob, Edmar Petillo, Bladimir Escarraga and Francis Sho had been charged for allegedly beating to death Orange Walk resident Ariel Audinette seven months ago in February. The charges against the men were dismissed on a technicality since the case file was not ready for the preliminary inquiry. The presiding Magistrate did not grant another adjournment and withdrew the charges, setting the men free.  But their freedom will be short lived as the Police Department intends to bring them back before the courts. Minister Aragon explains.

 

Andrea Polanco

“What happened in this case? Did the D.P.P. Office drop the ball?”

 

Elodio Aragon Jr., Minister of State, National Security

“No, I don’t think so. The magistrate that was there made that decision to withdraw the case because they were saying that the case file was not ready. That is why today I spoke about the judiciary, we must improve upon what is happening in the judiciary. We have cases that are out there for seven, eight years that have been adjourned, adjourned, adjourned and yet this case does not have six months and it has been withdrawn. These are the kind of disparities that I would like to see improved upon within our judiciary. One thing I will tell you, from what understand, the police department will bring back these charges and I think that should be done before the day is out today if not by tomorrow but definitely these law enforcement personnel will be taken to court again. Well no file is missing. There is a process in terms of criminal investigations. One, the police department puts the case file together. The case file is sent to the D.P.P. Office. The D.P.P. Office peruses the case file, makes recommendation and that file is sent back to the police for whatever further instructions from the D.P.P. and that is what is taking place right now. From what I understand the case file just came back with further directions from the D.P.P. Office for police officers to do which will enable that case. But for the case to be withdrawn I mean at the end of the day the magistrate made that decision and you will have to ask her why that was made but what I can tell you is that these people will be taken back to court.”

 

The men barged into Audinette’s house on February twenty-second, 2018 in Orange Walk Town. They were reportedly looking for a stolen cell phone but did not find it. Audinette ended up dead.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “BSAG Eight to be Rearrested Says Police Minister”

  1. Al says:

    You know, that’s exactly what puzzled me too. How about people who are on remand for years, cant get their cases heard, much less thrown out, and something like this can happen. I believe we need to rethink this thing.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*