Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Infant Badly Burned in Camalote House Fire
Aug 16, 2018

Infant Badly Burned in Camalote House Fire

Unique Ramclam

A four-year-old girl has been stabilized and will be transported to the Intensive Care Unit of the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital to recover from severe burns to most of her body. Unique Asia Ramclam was sleeping in her room in Camalote Village, Cayo when a fire broke out on Wednesday evening. Were it not for the heroic actions of a mother to save her daughter from a burning house, the four-year-old would have perished in the blaze. Luckily, she was rescued and recovery starts.  Anya Nah says her children come first and she was willing to die for her daughter. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

 

Anya Nah, Mother of Burn Victim

“She dah the one weh get burn to the neck, the face, around her head, her back mostly, arm, foot; ih lee hands, ih lee toes and part of her belly.”

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

Four-year-old Unique Ramclam remains hospitalized at the Western Regional Hospital; she’s recovering from burns to her body, which she sustained on Wednesday evening when the house she was sleeping in caught fire.  When her mother, twenty-four-year-old Anya Nah, realized that their home was on fire, she ran through the blaze to save her eldest son and baby girl. Nah’s response during the fire was that of a heroine.

 

Anya Nah

Anya Nah

“I left dehn two di sleep upstairs—Elijah and unique sleeping ina bed—I gone downstairs fi like five minutes fi gone get wah plate ah food weh mi sister-in-law offer me. I gone down there, I sit down fi wah lee while. And she say get up and take out yo own food. So I get out fi take out my food; I take out two pot spoon of rice when I hear my lee cousin Aliyah holla gial Anya yo house deh pan fire. When I look out I see the whole house, just the top piece, the windows smoke—just black smoke. I had to run upstairs. I grab my son by ih ponytail and just fling he outside. And then ina di room just had like blazing fire. I just run straight in there pan di bed weh my daughter mi deh pan. I just drag she from ih left arm. When I drag her off the bed, she di cry. Ih say, “Mommy, mommy please help me? Help me mommy, please help me.” She mi deh way by the bed head just di cry. I just mi want get dehn out; I neva care if I dead. My pickney dehn come first; I love my children dehn so much.”

 

The fire occurred around five o’clock in the elevated wooden structure that had a small storage room on underneath. The inferno was reportedly caused by a faulty light bulb inside the house. Soon, residents in the yard began smelling smoke and later became aware that the house was on fire. Nothing was saved. Sylvia Henry’s house is in the same yard and she recounts what she saw.

 

Sylvia Henry, Homeowner

“The bulb mi di spark and he come downstairs and say like the thing di ketch fire. And by the time we come out, it done lose control.”

 

Reporter

“I know this is a huge loss…”

 

Sylvia Henry

Sylvia Henry

“Everything, everything. Don’t save nothing, nothing, nothing. Mi meter and I di wonder how we will get it back and I don’t have a husband because my husband just passed away and I feel it hard.”

 

Norman Henry says he was sitting at the steps of the house when the fire started. According to him, calls were made for help, but by the time the fire department arrived on the scene, the entire house was already gutted.

 

Norman Henry

Norman Henry, Witness

“We called for the fire engine several times and the fire engine take so long to reach. By the time the fire engine come, dah only downstairs mi di ketch fire; the whole top mi already destroy already. So we say we lose everything. And she has a young baby; she just gone buy ih kids uniform clothes fi school and everything. She loose her clothes. Everything destroyed. The last of her money, everything destroyed.”

 

Nah says that Unique has been stabilized and will be transferred to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital.

 

Anya Nah

“She is stable at this moment; ih deh ina the theater. Dehn di clean up I lee wounds and will be transported to Belize City fi deh ina di ICU.”

 

Duane Moody for News Five.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*