Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fire Scorches Buttonwood Bay House
May 22, 2018

Fire Scorches Buttonwood Bay House

Orin Smith

Earlier in the newscast, we told you about the inferno down south in Hopkins on Sunday morning in which the charred remains of a man were found. That was just one of three fires over the extended weekend. Fortunately, the other two were not fatal and classified as electrical fires.  Just before midday on Sunday, a fire started inside a washroom at a two-storey house in the Buttonwood Bay neighborhood. Quick response from firefighters contained the blaze and there was only damage to the lower flat of the building. Station Manager Orin Smith explains.

 

Orin Smith, Station Manager, National Fire Service

“At approximately 11:30 a.m. and this structure occurred in Buttonwood Bay Belize City. On arrival on scene, the lower flat of a two storey concrete structure was seen with visible flames and smoke coming from the window and a part of the structure. That fire was extinguished. Damage to the lower flat of that structure was a washroom and an adjacent bedroom. The fire apparently originated in the washroom and it’s classified also as an electrical fire.”

 

Reporter

“In the case of this third one, where the fire started in the washroom, we’ve received reports that mattress had caught on fire as well.”

 

Orin Smith

“Well there was a room adjacent; that was destroyed or received extensive fire damage so I’d expect a mattress to have been in there.”

 

Reporter

“Might it have started from a cell phone charger? We had heard anecdotally such a report.”

 

Orin Smith

“I haven’t gotten that information.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*