Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured, People & Places » Turtle Inn kitchen burns; hotel still in business
Oct 6, 2017

Turtle Inn kitchen burns; hotel still in business

There are details tonight about the fire that struck the famous Turtle Inn in Placencia.  The resort owned by the renowned filmmaker, Francis Ford Coppola, suddenly went up in flames on Thursday afternoon but damage was confined to one area and guests were not affected. While it was back in business today, the main restaurant is closed.  The fire erupted from the pizza oven in the kitchen at about two-thirty. Five cooks on duty reported that they smelt smoke and upon making checks they noted that the area where the metal chimney exits through the thatched roof was engulfed in flames. The fire spread quickly through the thatch roof and the Belize National Fire Service along with assistance from the public, were able to bring the fire under control. The building that was destroyed houses the offices, kitchen and winery which was well stocked. Employees are today picking up the pieces. Luvia Martinez, the hotel’s house manager, explains.

 

On the Phone: Luvia Martinez, Turtle Inn Resort

“We did suffer a fire yesterday, actually a kitchen fire so we lost our kitchen. We are back in operation definitely, with the exception of our main restaurant; so we are in operation.”

 

Aaron Humes

“There was no damage to any of the condos, other guest rooms and so on?”

Luvia Martinez

“No, no. Our guest rooms, our cottages, they were not affected; it was only our kitchen that was affected in the fire. And of course, luckily no one was injured as far as staff and also guests, so everybody is in good spirits right now. So no, the only thing we lost was our kitchen.”

 

Aaron Humes

“Any indication, at least from the Fire Department or Police about what specifically caused the fire?”

 

Luvia Martinez

“The fire actually started off in the kitchen, it was in our pizza station oven in the chimney.”

 

The business is insured but the total costs are not known at this time.

 

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*