Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured, People & Places » Small Fire at Public’s on Boulevard Contained
Apr 6, 2017

Small Fire at Public’s on Boulevard Contained

A fire at the popular Publics Supermarket on Central American Boulevard in the City was quickly contained on Wednesday night. The fire started from a freezer loaded with sodas and beer. Soon enough, the fire department was on the scene and brought things under control, averting a major disaster. By this morning, team work from employees had restored normalcy at the supermarket. News Five’s Duane Moody reports. 

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

Just before nine o’clock on Wednesday night, a fire broke inside the very popular Public’s Supermarket on Central American Boulevard. The store was already closed and employees had signed off for the night, when the supervisor was notified that the alarms were blaring; a fire had started inside the building.

 

Pierre Jeune

Pierre Jeune, Supervisor, Publics Supermarket

“I get a call from the manager and she told me how the alarm gone off. And I told her, I just left the shop and I don’t know what’s wrong. She told me to please go and check and as soon as I hang up the phone, I got another call and someone told me the place is on fire. So I hurry and came and checked weh happen and when I reach, firemen were already here and police were here.”

 

The fire which scorched the wall at the rear of the cashier counters has led fire officials on the scene to conclude that a cooler, filled with sodas and beers, had combusted. Luckily, it was detected early and the fire did not spread throughout the store. Branch Manager Heylin Reyes says that there was some water damage.

 

Heylin Reyes

Heylin Reyes, Manager, Publics Supermarket

“Thank god no one got hurt. The situation happened when the place was already closed. And like I said, thanks to god that no one was here because if we were here when that happened, it would have caused more damage.”

 

Duane Moody

“Talk to us about cleanup efforts. We know that in here was filled with smoke and there were some particles that landed on the products, all of that. What are you guys doing now?”

 

Heylin Reyes

“Right now this morning, we just finish up cleaning. Well last night everybody from Publics…I want to thank everybody who gave us a hand from the Publics in the north and the one downtown. All of them came and we started to clean up, we started to wash out, pour water…take out all the water. Most of the products that got wet, we just picked them up and basically that’s all they helped us to do. And this morning, we just finished remove the refridge that explode and we finish clean up the area and ready to open the store and start back with business.”

 

….and it was business as usual this morning when we visited the supermarket, even as electricians were busy repairing damaged lines.

 

Duane Moody

“Was there any products damaged aside from the cooler and what was in there?”

 

Pierre Jeune

“No, no, no. Only Bowen and Bowen products…soft drinks and beer and stuff like that; nothing else.”

 

Heylin Reyes

“The only expense that we have right now is the technician that is going to fix the outlets and everything. He is charging us for that cost; the material and labor work. Right now, that is the only expense that we have. But Bowen and Bowen, they are going to give us the refridge and change the products that got damaged.”

 

Duane Moody for News Five.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*