Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » Prosecution of Rupert Myles is Discontinued
Apr 1, 2016

Prosecution of Rupert Myles is Discontinued

As we reported on Wednesday, charges against two members of the Santa Cruz Thirteen were withdrawn when the case against a group of Maya leaders came up in the Magistrate Court in Punta Gorda.  Both Reymundo Show and Oligario Sho will no longer face unlawful imprisonment and common assault charges.  The Maya leaders were arrested and charged in a pre-dawn operation last year June in southern Belize. Their arrest came on the heels of the detention of Rupert Myles, who was detained according to traditional Maya customs for damaging the Uxbenka Maya site. Both incidents sparked outrage because the Maya leaders said he had been warned to discontinue building his house on the sacred site while Myles said he was a victim of racism in the south. The Institute of Archaeology at the time said it would be taking action against Myles, but that is being discontinued so he will no longer be facing criminal action.  Myles has since moved from the site and is living elsewhere other than Uzbenka. The house he built is also to be taken down. The case is now adjourned until May ninth, at which time it has been agreed that the trial will be held for five consecutive days.  Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith will hear the case and the Director of Public Prosecution is leading the prosecution team.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*