Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » An Overnight Fire on Boots Crescent Leaves Family Homeless
Jan 8, 2016

An Overnight Fire on Boots Crescent Leaves Family Homeless

A fire swept through a mobile home on Thursday night on Boots Crescent, Belize City. In the blink of an eye, the Flowers family lost everything as the flames quickly raged through the trailer, home to as many as fifteen family members. Fortunately no one was hurt as they were able to quickly evacuate the burning house.  It is believed the blaze started from a lit candle that fell on a mattress.  News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

On Thursday night, disaster struck at the Flowers family yard on Boots Crescent in south side Belize City. Around nine-thirty p.m., a fire broke inside the back room of the mobile house where three children were in deep slumber. The flames billowed through the windows and the inferno and smoke could be seen from a distance away. Twenty-nine year old Teneisha Flowers says she was awoken by smoke and later realized that her sister’s room was on fire.

 

Teneisha Flowers

Teneisha Flowers, Fire Victim

“I get up and I was going to use the restroom, but same time I di smell this thing so I hurry grab my phone and to see if dah anyone of the wires them, but it’s not the wires in the house. And I come out but I still di smell this thing strong. So I went to the window to look out, but I noh see nothing outside…to see if any neighbors got something di smoke. And anyway, I say I gwen go use the restroom and by the time I bus through the lee alley way, I see heavy smoke.”

 

The family has been living at that location in the Queen Square area for the past eighteen years and the structure was home to fifteen persons, including three adults and twelve primary and high school students. Everything went up in smoke; from household items, the children’s uniforms and schools supplies. Today, the family attempted to salvage whatever they could from the rubble.

 

Shirley Flowers, Fire Victim

“The amount of fire in the backroom, the roll coming out; di come this way through the side door and we only coulda mi tell the pikney hurry come out before anybody gets hurt. My stepdaughter run back and went for my five year old daughter. She managed to get her out and as she come down the step, a puff of fire blow behind her. We lost a lot of household items, stereo, TV, bureau, laptop, bicycle…everything, lot of things. the only thing weh we save dah a lee bit of clothes weh we try pick out and out aside weh we think we could use until we get help.”

 

According to the sisters, they normally take precautionary measures before going to bed, because of a faulty breaker on the house. But they say a lit candle caused the inferno.

 

Teneisha Flowers

“When I gone close, because I know we turn off the tank and we turn off the stove…so nothing like that wasn’t on. We do that every, every night. And dah when I bus little more, I see the fire ina the back room and all I bawl out was oh my god and I told my lee niece and nephews unu hurry run out; unu run out. I bus the front room to my other sister and I say fire, fire; unu hurry come out.”

 

Duane Moody

“What do you think could have started the fire?”

 

Shirley Flowers

Shirley Flowers

“Well I think a candle that my niece light and ih drop on the mattress and that blow off the fire.”

 

Duane Moody

“Was she using candles because inside didn’t have any light or was she playing with fire?”

 

Shirley Flowers

“Well she was using candle because the house have a short and if we could play with the breaker and the breaker make the whole light come on ina the house. sometimes when we drop asleep, the backroom noh have light and they don’t come and tell us. They just do their own thing in the backroom. They light the candle and then we noh know what else they do but after that fire.”

 

Luckily no one was injured in the blaze, but the family lost everything, despite the quick response from the National Fire Service. The family needs your help to recover what they’ve lost.

 

Shirley Flowers

“I just di beg, plead to the community that we need help and as soon as we get the help we will thank them for it and who helped us last night. We are looking for what we lost out of the house. We need stove, gas tank, we need food; we need wah whole house because the house noh good.”

 

Duane Moody for News Five.

 

If anyone who would like to assist the Flowers family. They can be reached at 631-3985, 635-0677 or 631-1221

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*