Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Environment, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Early Morning Fire Leaves Family of Three Homeless
Sep 1, 2015

Early Morning Fire Leaves Family of Three Homeless

The lower flat of a two-storey building was gutted by a fire early this morning in the Old Capital. The blaze started in the kitchen of the wooden house and before it could be contained, it swept through the entire floor. Tenant, Anita McKoy, left the kitchen briefly to attend to her daughter who was heading to the first day of classes.  Almost in the blink of an eye she lost everything and is appealing for assistance to get back on her feet. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

 

Benisford Matura, Operations Officer, Nat’l Fire Service

Benisford Matura

“There was a fire behind the stove and that just started to consume the kitchen and eventually the rooms and the lower flat.”

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

Just after six this morning, as Anita McKoy prepared breakfast and was getting her children ready for their first day at school, disaster struck. The lower flat of the two storey house, where they lived, quickly filled up with flames and within minutes, all their belongings and the ground floor of the house was gutted. The fire started from a stove that was left unattended for a few minutes when McKoy went outside to assist her daughter.

 

Anita McKoy

Anita McKoy, Fire Victim

“This morning I get up di make tea for my kids and I just put on the food and I come right out yah so by the gate fi help my daughter with the water bottle cause I mi send she gone full water. I hear my son di holler, ma, ma, ma…the stove. When I gone back in there, the whole stove full up a flame. The whole stove ketch fire. I just grab my son and come out and I call the fire people dehn. I live downstairs. I di rent here and the next people dehn di rent upstairs the Spanish people. But yeah, I lose everything. Everything gone, everything gone….every single thing gone.”

 

Firefighters arrived minutes after the fire started at the corner of Mopan and Nargusta Streets; they got into operation and managed to save the upper floor of the house.

 

Benisford Matura

At six-thirteen a.m. this morning, we had a call of a fire at Nargusta Street. We got into action quick. We arrived there. It was a two-storey wooden structure. The ground floor was already engulfed; fire was coming out of the windows. We got into operation and extinguished that. The interior of the lower flat was totally gutted. We managed to save the upper flat—although it suffered a few burns because as you know flames go up, the side walls of the upper part got scorched. The owner of that building was Mister McKesey from the McKesey Meat Shop.”

Luckily no one was injured by the inferno, but now, the family is left without a roof over their heads. They are asking for assistance primarily with schools supplies and uniforms for the two children who were supposed to start primary school today.

 

Anita McKoy

“Well I have to try find somewhere for me and my kids stay and I lose everything. So if I can get a lee help from anybody. I would appreciate it.”

 

Clive Hyde

Clive Hyde, Fire Victim

“We had everything already for the kids dehn. School bags, school books, pen pencil ruler…everything got destroyed. This morning when my baby mom gone deal with some water for the kids them and she was making food, some faulty thing went wrong with the stove and just mash up everything. Any kind of assistance for the kids them at least would be highly appreciated cause they need to go to school. They were supposed to go to school this morning but hence the reason this fire came and just destroyed everything. Any assistance to help out my baby mom with will be kindly appreciated. Just for the kids so we could try get back wiself on wi foot, please right.”

 

While the upper flat of the house remains intact inside, is it still safe for the tenants?

 

Benisford Matura

“From my estimation, yes it is still safe. But for their safety, they should get with a contractor or someone that deals with buildings to ensure that it is safe. Like I said, we got there in time to safe the structure, but the bottom was engulfed where the content burnt away but the flowing is still intact.”

 

The house nor its contents were insured. Anyone who would like to assist can contact McKoy at 630-8598. Duane Moody for News Five.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*