Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fire Displaces Several Families on Euphrates Avenue
Jul 20, 2015

Fire Displaces Several Families on Euphrates Avenue

A fire over the weekend has left several families without a roof over their head. The landlord and her tenants had to evacuate their home immediately when fire and flames were seen coming out of the downstairs. No one was injured but they lost everything. Andrea Polanco went out to Euphrates Avenue and here’s that report.

 

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

About twenty minutes to four on Saturday afternoon, a fire started in one of the rooms in the lower flat of this wooden house at ninety eight Euphrates Avenue. Aristina Thompson lived in the upper flat and the rooms downstairs were rented out.  The fire wiped Thompson’s entire life’s investment. She has lived here for almost thirty years.

 

Aristina Thompson

Aristina Thompson, Fire Victim

“Oh yes. From I young I want mi own house. I managed fi get this house. Dah nuh wah new house and dah wah second house I buy from Mr Busman Arnold. All weh I do, I repaired the three sides. Inside I never repaired nothing but I put the downstairs because it neva got no downstairs and divide it up and suh and then I rent it out. Everybody from downstairs get bun out nuh and then upstairs like me, everything gone.”

 

One of the tenants, Tanya Herrera, who lived downstairs, was outside her room when the fire started.

 

Tanya Herrera, Fire Victim

“We see the smoke come out and the pickney deh run out and say smoke. I run inside and I si the old man stand up dah the back door di watch in his room and when I look inside his bed and the walls mi already engulfed in big flames and thick smoke mi di come out. I run out back and I tell the young man deh out yah that dah fire.”

 

Andrea Polanco

“Now, from what you know, this fire started downstairs you’d say?”

 

Tanya Herrera

“The old man room; I don’t know. He have wah electrical stove and I nuh know if he left it on and he gone sleep or what but dah from een deh it start because when I gone in deh dah his room mi deh under fire.”

 

Herrera and her two young children have lived here for four months. They, like all the other tenants and the owner of the house, lost everything in the fire.

 

Tanya Herrera

Tanya Herrera

“Wah next young man with room across from mine he only manage fi run out with fi he suitcase. Unfortunately, for me, I nuh save nothing. Everything fi me destroyed inna the fire.  I lost all my clothes, my TV, groceries. A lot of stuff for me, personal stuff and suh.”

 

Andrea Polanco

“If you’re able to, what value would you put for your belongings?”

 

Tanya Herrera

“Hmmm…I can’t put a value to it. I lost everything fi my kids, fi my son. We left with nothing just the clothes pan fi we back we left with.”

 

Thompson said only the structure was insured.

 

Aristina Thompson

“Only the house insured as I tell you. Nothing. Nothing. SO much of my things I mi got upstairs and I neva insure nothing.”

 

Andrea Polanco

“If you’re able to put a value to the things you lost, what would you say?”

 

Aristina Thompson

“Hmm I would ah say bout seventy thousand gial. The TV dem you know. One in my room, one inna my room, one in fi she room and one outside. Everything. All mi losses neva easy Mi stove mi new I just get it last year. Mi refridge, mi washing machine. Everything. So by that I have good loss.”

 

Reporting for News Five, I am Andrea Polanco.

 

If you’d like to assist Herrera and her two children, you can call 623-6837 or visit her at ninety-eight Euphrates Avenue.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*