Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Featured, Trials » Hilberto Sotz Killers Before The Courts; His Family Seeks UNCHR Assistance
Jul 14, 2015

Hilberto Sotz Killers Before The Courts; His Family Seeks UNCHR Assistance

Hilberto Sotz

The island of Caye Caulker has resumed a sense of normalcy in the wake of last month’s public uproar caused by the murder of eighteen-year-old Hilberto Sotz while in police custody on June eight, 2015. Today, his parents are proceeding with legal action against the Belize Police Department. Police constables Leonard Nunez and Hallet King, who are facing murder charges, appeared today before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith, but the matter was adjourned. Outside the courtroom, Saturino Sotz and his wife Carmelina spoke with News Five.  According to the teen’s father, efforts have been made to get the United Nations Commission on Human Rights involved in the case since the senseless murder of the detainee is a travesty of law enforcement.  Saturino says they are awaiting the expiration of a thirty-day deadline before they proceed with further action.

 

Saturino Sotz

Saturino Sotz, Father of Deceased

“I’m here to let the whole country of Belize know what is my intention that’s why I want them to support me and like how I’m supporting and pushing the issue to defend the whole country.  It’s not only mine, it could be your son or somebody’s children because this corruption is very, very terrible and I feel it.  Like I told you, I called the United Nations Commission on Human Rights because the guy that trained me in 1991, he was a captain and now he’s a major.  So that’s what he’s trying to do, help me over there.  So the only thing they’ve told me is that they want to hear what the government will do with those two officers and what kind of law the government will [pass].  So, we are waiting for that, what the government will do.  So if the government won’t do anything then I will make a petition and send it to the people and sign the paper and I’ll push it to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights.  And that’s what I am here [to do] to fight for the people and my son and this will not [end] just like that.  Something will happen.  If the government don’t take any action [then] I will make the United Nations take action because this is the same thing that was happening in Iraq the other day, its own government persecuting its own country and that’s why they went and deal with Saddam Hussein because that’s not right.  We have the right to do because we put them there to work, we never put them there fu kill we.”

 

Isani Cayetano

“Now the last time I spoke with you was on the day of your son’s post mortem and based on the results you had mentioned to me that you would be seeking some form of legal action against the Government of Belize for the death of your son…”

 

Saturino Sotz

“I will do.  I’ve already taken first procedures.  My attorney already [knows what to do], I’ve signed the paper and everything and we’ll give them a warning and if they don’t want that then if so be the case then we’ll take further action.  That’s what my attorney told me so that’s why we’re just waiting for thirty days to reach and after that we’ll take action.”

 

On June tenth, the pair of officers was arraigned on charges related to the murder of the teenager who had been detained, following a report of a burglary on the island a few days earlier.  While Sotz was in custody, he reportedly began experiencing respiratory failure, passing away moments before being transported to the health center in Caye Caulker.  An autopsy would later indicate that Hilberto Sotz did not succumb to natural causes and the cause of death was from injuries to his stomach and head.  PCs Leonard Nunez and Hallet King are due back in court on September sixteenth.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “Hilberto Sotz Killers Before The Courts; His Family Seeks UNCHR Assistance”

  1. Al says:

    Other victims who have lost their loved ones, or experienced brutality, should follow suit and heed to this family’s example of what is legally out there for us, the citizens, to do. Its obvious that government has no interest in doing anything to protect us, and the police knows this, so they keep pounding and killing us with impunity. Only by a show of togetherness, can we force a change.

  2. Truth says:

    The government has no involvement in this case.There is a judicial process which has to follow its course. The police are before the magistrates court, there will be a hearing and then it has to go for trial at the supreme court. That’s the process.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*