Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » G.O.B. Issues Release On Caye Caulker Lands
May 7, 2015

G.O.B. Issues Release On Caye Caulker Lands

On April twenty-third, a retired English couple came forward in the media to vent their frustration with an ongoing land issue on northern Caye Caulker.  The Higgins, Sydney and Anna, purchased a seafront property on the island only to find out sometime later that their access to the Caribbean Sea had been obstructed by another landowner.  It turns out that the individual had purchased a plot that was virtually submerged.  During the prime minister’s press conference a week ago, Minister of Natural Resources Gaspar Vega commented briefly on the matter and today the Lands Department provided another update.  According to a release issued this afternoon, an investigation into the matter has been concluded and the results are that the parcels in question are nonexistent since the surveys relating to those parcels have been cancelled since government learned of the cases in 2012.  Furthermore, the ministry also discovered that the surveys were not conducted in accordance with the established guidelines and that the authentication process was irregular.  Since 2008, the Lands Department granted permission to purchase two parcels but those titles have both been cancelled.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “G.O.B. Issues Release On Caye Caulker Lands”

  1. Spike says:

    I think the entire Department of Lands and Surveys is underwater!

  2. cayo says:

    Totally agree with you there Spike.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*