Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » O.W. Police Launch Operation in Wake of Double Homicide
Mar 24, 2015

O.W. Police Launch Operation in Wake of Double Homicide

There have been no arrests in the double homicide of Orange Walk minors Oscar Valdez and Michael Usher on Saturday night. But the unexpected violence has unleashed an intensive Police operation – as part of the hunt for the killer, but also to crack down on gang activity in the community – leading to the arrests of eight persons for various offences. Early Tuesday morning, Police searched the Orange Walk Town home of a suspect in the double murder, and found a bullet hidden inside a barrel. As a result, Police arrested Albert Vargas Senior and Junior, Ester Vargas and Kimberley Vargas, all at the home during the search. All were charged for the unlicensed ammunition and remanded. Shortly after, Police visited the home of a known gang member, Victor Luna. There they found a tablet which had been reported stolen during a robbery on March twelfth. Luna was arrested and charged for handling stolen goods, and also for another burglary of La Popular Bakery which occurred in February. Police then headed to the San Lorenzo Housing Site, where they searched the home of alleged gang member Jose Ochoa and found forty-three grams of cannabis. Ochoa was arrested, pleaded guilty and was fined one thousand dollars. Authorities then raided the home of alleged gang leader James Pelayo, who has a long history of run-ins with the law. At his home on Mangal Street they found another tablet reported stolen during the robbery of March twelfth. Pelayo was arrested, charged and remanded to prison. Finally, Police visited Carmelita on the Phillip Goldson Highway and found Andy Rhaburn smoking controlled drugs under a shed. Rhaburn was arrested and a search of the area turned up forty-four marijuana plants, for which he was charged. Orange Walk Police have stated that they will maintain the pressure on the criminal elements and expect that they will have an arrest in the weekend’s double murder very soon.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “O.W. Police Launch Operation in Wake of Double Homicide”

  1. Kay says:

    But can they make the charges stick??? If the witnesses couldn’t get a good view of the culprit that introduces reasonable doubt into the case and these people will walk away free to do it again!

  2. WISDOM says:

    Even if the witness got a very good view of the accused, it all comes down to how the crown council adduce the evidence in court in front of the judge and juror and finally it comes down to jurors who are your peers and its up to them to decide if the accused is guilty or not.

    For whatever reason, the jurors of belize have been afraid to find the accused guilty. you, me and almost everybody else know the accused did it, but the jurors, being afraid to convict a man of a crime he committed, in all most all cases, find the accused NOT GUILTY!!!!

    its just appalling!!

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*