Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fire Eviscerates Home of Popular Orange Walk Vendor
Nov 10, 2014

Fire Eviscerates Home of Popular Orange Walk Vendor

While two men lost their lives in tragic accidents, one popular burger vendor in Orange Walk lost all his possessions and home to a fire. It happened on Saturday afternoon at the burger hut on San Antonio Road, and is a classic example of how disaster can strike in the blink of an eye. Rodrigo Gonzalez was at home cooking, but decided to take a chance and visit his barber for a haircut. That’s all it took for fire to ignite in his home. By the time Police and Fire Department personnel arrived on the scene, the bungalow house was completely devoured by the fire.

 

ASP Selvyn Tillett, Deputy O.C., Orange Walk Police

Selvyn Tillett

“Police received information of a fire, a house on fire. It was a bungalow house, cement that is a quarter mile on the San Antonio Road. I forget his name but the person went to take a haircut leaving something on the stove. About twenty minutes later, he was informed that his house was on fire. So all his household items were damaged by water or fire. No one was injured; the items were not insured. You don’t leave things cooking if no one is home to take care of it. You say five ten minutes, you don’t know what happens. In the spur of a second something can happen. If no one is there to watch over what you are cooking, please, please people, out all fires. It is better to take longer to cook than when you reach home and you have no house because then it is negligence on his behalf because he went to take a haircut. And then you lose everything.”

 

Neither the home nor Gonzalez’s were insured. 

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Fire Eviscerates Home of Popular Orange Walk Vendor”

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*