Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Featured, Miscellaneous, People & Places » P.U.P. Did Not Sign Hunting Caye Contract
Oct 24, 2014

P.U.P. Did Not Sign Hunting Caye Contract

The political jousting between Dangriga Mayor Gilbert Swaso and Junior Minister of Finance and Economic Development, Santiago Castillo, during the opening of the Dangriga market on Thursday was a fiery spat. Names were called and allegations were made.  Among them is former Prime Minister, Said Musa.  He stands accused of signing a contract for Guatemalan construction company BINARQ to build the controversial forward operating base at Hunting Caye. It has since been confirmed that the Guatemalan employees did not have work permits so they packed up and left. In Dangriga, the context in which Castillo framed his quip may have sounded humorous, but Musa doesn’t find it at all funny.  Today, the erstwhile leader categorically denied signing any such agreement, suggesting instead that Castillo stick to what he knows best.

 

Said Musa, Former Prime Minister

Said Musa

“Everybody knows that that contract for the coastguard forwarding base at Hunting Caye was signed during the Barrow administration in 2011.  Belizean people also know that yes the P.U.P. under my prime ministership signed the Status of Forces Agreement between Belize and the United States of America in 2005 I think, or 2007.  Under that agreement we did have the U.S. government authorize a forwarding base for the coastguard I believe at Calabash Caye in 2007.  The records will show that that was built by a Belizean contractor and Belizean workers.  Every single contract done under the U.D.P. since then, the one at San Pedro and now this very embarrassing one at Hunting Caye was done under the U.D.P. administration by the same Guatemalan company BINARQ or whatever the name is.  That is a scandalous state of affairs and this Minister Santi Castillo in trying to deflect from the gross incompetence of his government in the building of the Dangriga market tried to suggest that that contract at Hunting Caye was built under my administration or the contract was awarded during my time.  It is not only a complete lie but it goes to show the level of desperation that these people will resort to in just telling blatant lies in trying to get out of hot water.  I mean, I would want to advise Santi that he should stick to cycling and leave politics alone.”

 

We’ll have more on that interview with the former prime minister later in the newscast. 

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “P.U.P. Did Not Sign Hunting Caye Contract”

  1. Stand Up says:

    Wow, Said Musa lashing on “scandalous”? Is he under the impression that hopefully the whole of Belize has Alzheimers?

  2. reatph says:

    Agreement between Belize and the United States of America in 2005 I think, or 2007. Under that agreement we did have the U.S. government AUTHORIZED a forwarding base for the coastguard I believe at Calabash Caye in 2007.
    Why did the BELIZE GOVERNMENT needed to be AUTHORIZED by the UNITED STATES to build that base???????????????????????????????????????????????
    When did BELIZE A SOVREIGN NATION ever NEEDED AUTHORIZATION from the UNITED STATES to do anything?????????????????????

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*