Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Archaeology, Crime, Featured » Caracol Archaeological Site Remains Closed
Oct 10, 2014

Caracol Archaeological Site Remains Closed

The Caracol Archaeological Site remains closed indefinitely in the wake of the murder of Special Constable Danny Conorquie two weeks ago.  While efforts are currently being taken by the Ministry of National Security to address the issue of incursions, the unfortunate incident which claimed the life of the young officer unfolded before a group of tourists who were visiting the location.  Undoubtedly, the brazen daylight execution has struck fear in the hearts of many, including would-be visitors who have booked excursions to the inland attraction.  In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy the Ministry of Tourism remained relatively silent on the issue.  Today, Director of Marketing and Industry Relations at the Belize Tourism Board, Alyssa Carnegie, told the media that the organization is working closely with relevant government agencies to ensure the safety of tourists who have reserved trips to the site.

 

Alyssa Carnegie, Director of Marketing & Industry Relations, BTB

Alyssa Carnegie

“I think, you know, there are a lot of bookings that have already happened, you know, so obviously we’re trying to make sure that those tourists or those visitors are reassured.  I think we can all agree that what has happened or what did happen at Caracol was unprecedented, it was not normal and the news circulating is that while it’s still local yes there is some traction and it’s building internationally.  But for the most part, and at least from the feedback we’ve received from the tourists who are actually there, you know, they understand that it’s an isolated event, that it does speak to something that is a lot larger than what could be controlled within the tourism ambit.  But I think a lot of the tourists who were there went on to have their vacations, enjoy their vacations.  [The] spoke [and] gave really good reviews especially of the tour guides that were there, I think our major concern is just making sure that we can support the efforts that some of the other agencies are doing on the ground to strengthen security and to strengthen the patrols in that area so we can make sure that Caracol is open again they are seeing increased visitors.  Because that is also part of the, you know, it’s part of Belize’s efforts as well to get people out there to hopefully, you know, I don’t want to say keep people, keep some of the incursions from happening because we can’t necessarily do that but at least ensure that there is activity there that there’s increase patrols and doing that in so far as we can.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Caracol Archaeological Site Remains Closed”

  1. Peter Monteroso says:

    Belize is full of cowards, that is all there is to it.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*