Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » Minister of National Security Breaks His Silence on Caracol Murder
Oct 2, 2014

Minister of National Security Breaks His Silence on Caracol Murder

We go now inside the House of Representatives that concluded its special sitting before two p.m. today.  Tourism Police Special Constable Danny Conorquie was killed exactly one week ago. His murder, allegedly at the hands of Guatemalan nationals, has occupied the national discussion. As tragic and senseless as it was, Conorquie’s execution has riveted attention on the security protocols at our tourism sites, especially those near neighbouring Guatemala. Minister of National Security John Saldivar has been silent thus far on the murder of the Special Constable, but this morning in the House he was ready when the issue was brought up.


John Saldivar, Minister of National Security

John Saldivar


“We do believe that the perpetrators are Guatemalans, but we have no evidence that has been left at the scene or that has been uncovered so far to confirm this. And we cannot recklessly state that we have evidence when we are not in position of such evidence. But as the Leader of the Opposition has said, we will leave no stone unturn, we will spare nothing to get to the bottom of this and to hopefully bring the perpetrators to justice. The Guatemalan authorities have offered to assist and we will rely on their word since the perpetrators have obviously fled to that country. Mister Speaker, we take this opportunity to assure the family and the wider public that the ministry and in particular the Belize Police Department will arrange in conjunction with the Belize Tourism Board and the Ministry of Finance, a substantial financial contribution to the family of Danny Conorquie. The Ministry of National Security also wishes to put on record its commitment to do all in its power to identify and bring the perpetrators to justice. We are equally determined to do everything possible to safeguard visitors to the Caracol Archaeological Site and to prevent another loss of life. Consequently, we have conducted a review of the events and circumstances leading up to this event and perhaps my silence to this point is to ensure that we have completely and thoroughly review what has happened so that we do not misspeak.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Minister of National Security Breaks His Silence on Caracol Murder”

  1. CEO says:

    You could have said all you just said from the time the murder happened. That would have been a wiser thing to do.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*