Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Environment, Featured, Miscellaneous » Minister of Lands Says They Will Cancel Goff’s Caye Lease
Jul 11, 2014

Minister of Lands Says They Will Cancel Goff’s Caye Lease

Who placed survey pegs on Goff Caye and what’s the plan for this beautiful, eminently accessible piece of Belizean paradise just eight miles from the mainland? That’s the million dollar question right about now. Last week questions abounded when it was reported that survey pegs appeared on the island. That suggests that somebody’s planning to do something on the island, but the Coastal Zone Management Authority and Institute, which manages Goff Caye, didn’t know anything about it. The next logical step was the Ministry of Natural Resources, and late Thursday evening they issued a release claiming that the north-eastern portion of Goff Caye was under lease to Ramon Cervantes, a Belize City tour operator. Today Minister of Natural Resources Gaspar Vega also pointed the finger at Cervantes, claiming that the lease should never have been given to him, and they are looking to cancel it.

 

Gaspar Vega, Minister of Natural Resources

Gaspar Vega

“We were shocked like the people that called us about the development in the island. We did our research and that is when we found out that there is a lease that was issued to one Ramon Cervantes, I think it was 2001 or the survey was done in 2001 and was issued in 2002. But it is to our surprise because we know Goff’s Caye is a reserve and apparently in our research we found that the Coastguard and the legal department of the ministry was totally against the issuance of that lease however the ministry at the time went ahead and issued the lease for fifty years. i think if I am not mistaken there is something that says the person could not get a title for that section of the land but at the same time gave them the authority to put permanent structure which is a contradiction to that statement. Unfortunately that is the reality, we have already handed over the documents or the case to our department to see if we can cancel the lease because it should not have been issued in the first place.”

 

Reporter

“No structure has been placed on the island?”

 

Gaspar Vega

“Not as yet I think that there was just some kind of development that just started in measuring the area or starting to get ready for structure but activity has starts and I know that for now it has been stopped.”

 

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Minister of Lands Says They Will Cancel Goff’s Caye Lease”

  1. StandUp says:

    It’s amazing how righteous Gappy becomes about the “law” and about “proper procedures” when it comes to exposing the “other guys” from 2002. This is so hypocritical and smells worse than the “hard stuff in the toilet” Cervantes enjoyed discussing. I guess we just have to wait another 12 years to find out about the the leases in people’s names with their social security card info that THEY DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT, or people’s land that was taken away from them and they DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT, much less where else “the pegs” have been set where they shouldn’t. By that time, he’ll be lounging at one of his foreign hotels he owns, counting his money, and it’ll be his turn to talk about the “hard stuff in the toilet” of his govt’s tenure. How long, people?

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*